Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Indomitable Human Spirit

One of the aspects that I love about my job is reading about scientific advancements.  The human body is a remarkable organism and the more we learn about it, the more amazed I am.  Each new scientific advancement is like peeling away the layers of an onion.  That said, there are times when I cannot explain by scientific means what I observe with my own eyes.  This often occurs at the end of life.  Time and time again I'll see a patient at the end of life in the hospital whose organs are failing and may not even be conscious any more.  I know as a physician that death could come at any time but what happens more often than not is that as soon as the last family arrives from far away, the patient will then slip away peacefully.  I am convinced that amid the millions of cells in the body resides the spirit of man that cannot be quantified or studied in the usual way.  Some how, some way, the patient senses the presence of his loved one.  The spirit then is free to leave this life and the body is left lifeless.

Though the details may vary, the belief in a higher power and of man's spiritual nature are pervasive through almost all cultures.  Assuming that we indeed have a spirit and that there is a higher power, how does that affect our health?  Researchers have even tried to study the effects of prayer on health.  The results have been controversial.  It is difficult to quantify the "dose" of prayer and faith and the effect it may have on an individual.  A more consistent finding has been that church attending individuals are generally healthier than their counterparts.  It is hard to know if this is due to increased spiritual power, to the beneficial effects of quiet meditation and prayer on stress, to healthier life styles or to a combination of all of the above.

I have my own beliefs, of course, and feel strongly that our spiritual lives most certainly affect our physical health.  It is not something I actively ask my patients to pursue but I do ask about it.  I certainly encourage patients to both reach out to others in their congregations when they are in need as well as avail themselves of such support themselves during times of illness.  I may not ask someone to pray but I will inform someone that I will pray for them.  I certainly pray myself that I may make good choices for my patients and do what is best for them.  I have felt a quiet power in my life as I deal with the stress of having someone's health depend upon my ability to both diagnose and manage thier conditions correctly.


If you have inclinations to seek for spiritual enlightenment, I encourage you to pursue them.  A strong spirit will lead to a strong body, as we strive to keep all things in balance.

2 comments:

  1. Back in 2000 when my father was dying of liver cancer, I visited as often as I could. I was not retired then and had to be here in St. Louis for my job. Toward the end, I told him I would be back on Saturday, 4 days from the day I said that. He looked at me strangely, as if he knew he wouldn't be around then. When I arrived on Saturday he was pale, unconscious, and drooling from a slack mouth. I put my hand on his head. He was warm and remained warm until the nurses came in 30 minutes later to turn him over. His eyes opened in death as they turned him. Did he wait for me? Probably.

    ReplyDelete