Tuesday, December 6, 2011

From Darkness into Light

Orion
Orion stands sentinel over my house in the morning as I wait for my 15 year old son to back out of the garage and we head off for the day.  He still is peaking over my shoulder as I get to the gym.  It is hard enough to exercise when it is dark, harder still when it is cold.  The initial chill of jumping in the water for my swim work out is an added jolt.  Thankfully, as I head out the door, the sun has decided to finally rise and Orion has gone to hunt in other lands.  My days are busy and long.  The winter time viruses are in full swing as well as the hustle and bustle of those who have met their deductibles for the year and want to make sure they get in their physicals.  By the time I sit down to finish up my calls and go through all my paperwork, I glance out the window to see that dusk has already settled on my world.  By the time I come home Mars has already climbed high in the sky and it is dark again.

These winter days of starting and ending my day in the dark can cast a shadow over my mood.  Medically we refer to this as seasonal affective disorders or "SAD."  For most of us, we muddle through and pull out fairly well.  A small minority just lose their ability to function altogether.  What is one to do?  How can this be combated?  First of all, on the days when the sun is shining, put on a coat and get outside.  Even if it is just for ten minutes.  The sun is a healing force, both physically and mentally.  Even artificial light helps.  Turn on the lights at night.  It will help your energy level and brighten your spirits.  Stay involved with other people.  Finding ways to help others will make it easier not to worry so much about our own problems.  Above all, stay active.  Gaining weight will only make one sink deeper into the dark abyss.  Some may need to seek help from a physician.  Medications may help.  There are actually light boxes constructed for this very purpose as well.

 Try to stay positive.  A gratitude journal may help remind you of the good in your life.  Jot down the good things that transpire in your day.  It will help you look for the good around you.  As we do so, we will see the beauty of the heavens instead of the darkness of the sky.  It will remind us that we truly are being watched over and that in due course light will shine forth again in our lives like the promise of spring.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written,almost spiritual! thanks so much Dr. Fuller!

    ReplyDelete