Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Right of Vice?

The Bill of Rights
A patient comment recently had me thinking of the Bill of Rights.  It has been a little while since I took a government class so I decided to brush up on my history a bit.  As you may remember better than I, the Bill of Rights references the first ten amendments to the Constitution, specifically outlining the personal rights and freedoms that our government guarantees. It ranges from the right of free speech, to the right to bear arms, including  the right of a fair trial, to name a few.  

The comment that sent me on my historical inquiry was, "Everyone needs a vice, right Doc?"  It was in response to one of my encouragements to eat healthier.  It was said so authoritatively, I thought that it must be included in the bill of rights.  Now as I read through the list, the only one that might qualify is the eight amendment which reads, "Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishment." I suppose many may feel that taking away their chocolate, soda, ice cream, beer or cigarettes may constitute "cruel and unusual punishment," but I don't think that was what the Founding Father's had in mind.  

What is Your Vice?

According to one of my favorite sources of information (Wikipedia), vice is defined as follows:

"Vice is a practice or a behavior or habit considered immoral, depraved, or degrading in the associated society. In more minor usage, vice can refer to a fault, a negative character trait, a defect, an infirmity, or merely a bad habit."  

In this context, do we have the right to a vice?  My answer to the patient and to you is "No!"  What we do need are good habits.  We need to set up routines that edify our body and soul, not tear it down.  It has been shown that it takes on average twelve weeks to create a habit.  When embarking on a new diet or exercise regimen, the first three months are the most critical.  It is much easier to exercise when it is a foregone conclusion that has already been ingrained as opposed to a vigorous internal debate that has to be endured each and every morning.  

We all have habits. Look at the ones in your life. Fortify the ones that make you stronger and eliminate the ones that hold you down, the vices.  Rather than being constitutional guarantees; your vices guarantee declining health.  Get rid of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment